Subject: [codesprints] code sprint idea: downloading automatic transcriptions

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 09:52:42 -0500

Hi,

        As you know we're using youtube for scaled out video
distribution.  I just noticed that it is possible to download
transcriptions of any uploaded video, even in multiple languages.  The
api is quite simple [1] and it looks like it would not be much effort to
automatically download all transcriptions and make these available to at
least the WG chairs/secretaries for use in preparing minutes.

I have no idea who is managing code sprint or volunteer projects now a
days, but I suspect this would be a huge win for all with little effort.

Thoughts?

Lou

[1] https://developers.google.com/youtube/v3/docs/captions/download

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 16:12:59 +0100

Hi Lou,

> days, but I suspect this would be a huge win for all with little effort.

If I understand the interface correctly, it will let you download
existing caption tracks (and add/update) caption tracks, too; but
I don't see any indication of automatic creation of caption tracks.

So the suggestion below only seems worthwhile if someone first does
a transcription and uploads it.

	Henrik

> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development
>

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:47:06 -0500

Henrik,

Click on any of the current IETF video, then click CC and you'll see
transcription for *any* uploaded video.

Thanks,
Lou