Subject: [Codematch-develop] Feedback

From: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 07:06:21 +0000

Hi,

Kathleen asked me to give some feedback about the current state of the system.

I started by going to http://codematch.inf.ufrgs.br/codematch-dev/codematch/dashboard/. That gives an error :-(

The I tried http://codematch.inf.ufrgs.br/codematch-dev/codematch/dashboard_dev/. That worked. But I can't log in the normal way we use for datatracker development (all passwords are "password".) So I am not sure if I can test this fully.

The dashboard page is otherwise empty. I note that it is VERY slow to use the site - can't we host this in EC2 or by using a CDN?

I note that it looks VERY different from the normal datatracker. Bootstrap is being loaded, but so are a gazillion of other js libraries. We went through great pains to unify the look & feel of the datatracker through the use of only bootstrap widgets; I don't see why this extension needs to look so different (and IMO uglier). Bootstrap (and consequently the datatracker) have a UI concept - this site doesn't.

I click on "CodeMatch" in the menu bar, and am taken to what looks like the normal landing page. It needs a lot more introductory text about what CodeMatch is, who should participate, etc.

I click on "CodeMatches" and am shown a list of dummy offerings. Since none of the test CodeMatches uses realistic information, it's hard to know whether this display will show useful information. Please put some actual, real, complete examples into the system for testing.

I click on "New Title" and am shown a CodeMatch. I don't see any buttons that would let me pick this one if I wanted to work on it, or links to the IETF areas, WGs, RFCs or IDs that are related (there are links, and social media icons, but they don't seem to do anything).

I click on "CodeRequests" in the menu bar, and a menu pops up with just one entry? Anyway, I click "All CodeRequests", and the same page I am on reloads. Hm.

I click "Top Coders" in the menu bar, and see a list of people. ("Codings" is not a word, by the way.) I click on "Christian O'Flaherty". Nothing happens.

At this point, I give up.

So, I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but here is my feedback:

The site seems to be very incomplete and slow. It doesn't seem to be built with much of a UI concept in mind. I don't think we're anywhere near ready to put it live.

Lars

---

From: "Wanderson Paim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 15:52:53 -0300

Hello,

Thank you Lars for your sincere feedback. Let me try to contribute with your
comments considering our perspective. So we have subjects to discuss in our
next group call.

There are currently two environments, one for versions under development and
another one for 'production' version. In this case production means a
version more stable than the other one. The URLs for both environments are
below:

Under development: http://codematch.inf.ufrgs.br/codematch-dev/codematch/ 
Stable version: http://codematch.inf.ufrgs.br/codematch-master/codematch/  

Follow my other comments in line.

Best regards,

Wanderson

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Codematch-develop [mailto:[email-masked]] Em nome de
Eggert, Lars
Enviada em: segunda-feira, 13 de junho de 2016 04:06
Para: [email-masked]
Assunto: [Codematch-develop] Feedback

Hi,

Kathleen asked me to give some feedback about the current state of the
system.

I started by going to
http://codematch.inf.ufrgs.br/codematch-dev/codematch/dashboard/. That gives
an error :-(

>> The dashboard functionality is something under development.

The I tried
http://codematch.inf.ufrgs.br/codematch-dev/codematch/dashboard_dev/. That
worked. But I can't log in the normal way we use for datatracker development
(all passwords are "password".) So I am not sure if I can test this fully.

>> The authentication system is already connected to DataTracker's database.
So you can use your DataTracker's credentials to login. This is part of the
developing environment because authentication system itself is a testing
case.

The dashboard page is otherwise empty. I note that it is VERY slow to use
the site - can't we host this in EC2 or by using a CDN?

>> The current scenario is a server in the south of Brazil and a database in
Kansas, US. It means that every interaction with CodeMatch requires a
database request across the continent. Find attached a comparison between
remote and local database response times. Same examples;
Authentication remote: 402.37ms 
Authentication local: 0.72ms
Get_current_user remote:  803.14ms
Get_current_user local: 0.57ms

This delay, added to the one between the server and the final user, implies
in what you has seen. Wherever it will be sent, we should guarantee to have
it closer to the database.

I note that it looks VERY different from the normal datatracker. Bootstrap
is being loaded, but so are a gazillion of other js libraries. We went
through great pains to unify the look & feel of the datatracker through the
use of only bootstrap widgets; I don't see why this extension needs to look
so different (and IMO uglier). Bootstrap (and consequently the datatracker)
have a UI concept - this site doesn't.

I click on "CodeMatch" in the menu bar, and am taken to what looks like the
normal landing page. It needs a lot more introductory text about what
CodeMatch is, who should participate, etc.

I click on "CodeMatches" and am shown a list of dummy offerings. Since none
of the test CodeMatches uses realistic information, it's hard to know
whether this display will show useful information. Please put some actual,
real, complete examples into the system for testing.

I click on "New Title" and am shown a CodeMatch. I don't see any buttons
that would let me pick this one if I wanted to work on it, or links to the
IETF areas, WGs, RFCs or IDs that are related (there are links, and social
media icons, but they don't seem to do anything).

>> The current concept is based on looking for CodeRequests and associate
your project to them, what comes to the creation of a new CodeMatch (match
between your project and the code request). Or create a CodeMatch based on a
previous developed project by clicking on "New CodeMatch Project" (the user
must be logged in). The fact that we need to explain this means we need a
tutorial or help system.

I click on "CodeRequests" in the menu bar, and a menu pops up with just one
entry? Anyway, I click "All CodeRequests", and the same page I am on
reloads. Hm.

>> To find other entries and the function to associate projects, the user
must be logged in. 

I click "Top Coders" in the menu bar, and see a list of people. ("Codings"
is not a word, by the way.) I click on "Christian O'Flaherty". Nothing
happens.

>> In the future this will take to a Profile page.

The site seems to be very incomplete and slow. It doesn't seem to be built
with much of a UI concept in mind. I don't think we're anywhere near ready
to put it live.

Lars