Subject: [Codematch-develop] Code Match feature request

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 06:40:43 -0400

Hello,

I am meeting with the IETF leadership and Dave Thaler had an interesting
feature request that I have added to the google doc that includes the
planned list of features.  I put this into phase 2 and am copying Dave in
case the feature request needs any tweaking.

"Mechanism to associate an open source project to a draft or RFC that is
known to be appropriate, with notification to the open source code owner to
approve the association."

Thanks!

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 06:44:39 -0400

I've added a bit more text to the feature request rom additional input from
Dave at the end:

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 6:40 AM, Kathleen Moriarty <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> approve the association.
If it is possible to 'tag' the code repository owner and/or project to
notify them and simultaneosly advertise for them when this association is
made, that is desirable."

Thanks.

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 07:14:13 -0400

Hi Dave,

Thank you, that makes sense, how about the following updated feature
request for phase 2:

Mechanism to associate an open source project to a draft or RFC that is
known to be appropriate, with notification to the open source code owner to
approve the association (email to project code owner required that includes
a link to the association in CodeMatch so they can go to the site to see
any further information). If it is possible to 'tag' the code repository
owner and/or project to notify them via social media features (equivalent
of @ in twitter) and simultaneously advertise for them when this
association is made, that is desirable. If only adding a URL is possible,
that will suffice with an email notification (no approval needed to make
the association).

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 7:10 AM, Dave Thaler <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  My only tweak suggestion was not to “approve the association” per se but
> merely notify them.
>
> The difference is just that I think the association should be publically
> visible even if no one responds.
>
> They should be able to come back and modify it or reject it if they want.
>
>
>
> Furthermore, I’d recommend that the actual content not be in the email
> notification, only a link to where it can be viewed.
>
>
>
> This is similar to the facebook model, which has the benefit of drawing
> people into the site in order to see what others are saying about them.
>
> Thus it becomes a way to market and increase use of the site.
>
>
>
> *From:* Kathleen Moriarty [mailto:[email-masked]]
> *Sent:* Wednesday, May 6, 2015 11:45 AM
> *To:* [email-masked]; Dave Thaler
> *Subject:* Re: Code Match feature request
>
>
>
> I've added a bit more text to the feature request rom additional input
> from Dave at the end:
>
>
>

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 11:10:24 +0000

My only tweak suggestion was not to “approve the association” per se but merely notify them.
The difference is just that I think the association should be publically visible even if no one responds.
They should be able to come back and modify it or reject it if they want.

Furthermore, I’d recommend that the actual content not be in the email notification, only a link to where it can be viewed.

This is similar to the facebook model, which has the benefit of drawing people into the site in order to see what others are saying about them.
Thus it becomes a way to market and increase use of the site.

From: Kathleen Moriarty [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2015 11:45 AM
To: [email-masked]; Dave Thaler
Subject: Re: Code Match feature request

I've added a bit more text to the feature request rom additional input from Dave at the end:

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 6:40 AM, Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Hello,

I am meeting with the IETF leadership and Dave Thaler had an interesting feature request that I have added to the google doc that includes the planned list of features.  I put this into phase 2 and am copying Dave in case the feature request needs any tweaking.

"Mechanism to associate an open source project to a draft or RFC that is known to be appropriate, with notification to the open source code owner to approve the association.
If it is possible to 'tag' the code repository owner and/or project to notify them and simultaneosly advertise for them when this association is made, that is desirable."

Thanks.

Thanks!

--

Best regards,
Kathleen

--

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 11:19:27 +0000

Personally I think the phrase “to approve the association” connotes that the association is not made publically visible until the owner approves.
I’m proposing the opposite, that no approval should be done.
Just like facebook and twitter don’t have an approval step when you tag someone.
But facebook has a “remove tag” retroactive option.

From: Kathleen Moriarty [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2015 12:14 PM
To: Dave Thaler
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Code Match feature request

Hi Dave,

Thank you, that makes sense, how about the following updated feature request for phase 2:

Mechanism to associate an open source project to a draft or RFC that is known to be appropriate, with notification to the open source code owner to approve the association (email to project code owner required that includes a link to the association in CodeMatch so they can go to the site to see any further information). If it is possible to 'tag' the code repository owner and/or project to notify them via social media features (equivalent of @ in twitter) and simultaneously advertise for them when this association is made, that is desirable. If only adding a URL is possible, that will suffice with an email notification (no approval needed to make the association).

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 7:10 AM, Dave Thaler <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
My only tweak suggestion was not to “approve the association” per se but merely notify them.
The difference is just that I think the association should be publically visible even if no one responds.
They should be able to come back and modify it or reject it if they want.

From: Kathleen Moriarty [mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>]
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2015 11:45 AM
To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>; Dave Thaler
Subject: Re: Code Match feature request

Thanks.

Thanks!

--

Best regards,
Kathleen

--

Best regards,
Kathleen

--

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 07:21:48 -0400

Hi Dave,

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 7:19 AM, Dave Thaler <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  Personally I think the phrase “to approve the association” connotes that
> the association is not made publically visible until the owner approves.
>

Thanks for catching that, I thought I had removed it.  Here is the updated
text in the google doc for feature tracking:

Mechanism to associate an open source project to a draft or RFC that is
known to be appropriate, with notification to the open source code owner of
the association (email to project code owner required that includes a link
to the association in CodeMatch so they can go to the site to see any
further information). If it is possible to 'tag' the code repository owner
and/or project to notify them via social media features (equivalent of @ in
twitter) and simultaneously advertise for them when this association is
made, that is desirable. If only adding a URL is possible, that will
suffice with an email notification (no approval needed to make the
association).

> *Sent:* Wednesday, May 6, 2015 12:14 PM
> *To:* Dave Thaler
> *Cc:* [email-masked]
>

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 07:23:09 -0400

Thank you, great suggestion!

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 7:22 AM, Dave Thaler <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  Looks great, thanks Kathleen!
>
>
>
> *Sent:* Wednesday, May 6, 2015 12:22 PM
>
> *To:* Dave Thaler

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 11:22:42 +0000

From: Kathleen Moriarty [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2015 12:22 PM
To: Dave Thaler
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Code Match feature request

Hi Dave,

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 7:19 AM, Dave Thaler <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Thanks for catching that, I thought I had removed it.  Here is the updated text in the google doc for feature tracking:

Mechanism to associate an open source project to a draft or RFC that is known to be appropriate, with notification to the open source code owner of the association (email to project code owner required that includes a link to the association in CodeMatch so they can go to the site to see any further information). If it is possible to 'tag' the code repository owner and/or project to notify them via social media features (equivalent of @ in twitter) and simultaneously advertise for them when this association is made, that is desirable. If only adding a URL is possible, that will suffice with an email notification (no approval needed to make the association).

From: Kathleen Moriarty [mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>]
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2015 12:14 PM
To: Dave Thaler
Cc: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

Hi Dave,

Thanks.

Thanks!

--

Best regards,
Kathleen

--

Best regards,
Kathleen

--

Best regards,
Kathleen

--

Best regards,
Kathleen