Subject: Re: [Codematch-develop] Open Source Discussion on SAAG

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 10:57:54 -0500

Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > On a call with Dave Ward, he mentioned he would like to see maturity
    > ratings for open source.  I'm not sure of the liability implications of
    > this, but it is something to think about and to figure out if there is
    > a way to apply a ranking without having a way to cause trouble for the
    > IETF.  I mentioned we plan to have a way to both announce plugfests as
    > well as provide a report from plugfests to say what projects (open
    > source or proprietary) have proven interoperability with the associated
    > drafts or RFCs.

Add a layer of indirection.
github, and ohloh, for instance, each list how *active* a project is.
So link to them.

That's not the same as maturity; but it is a metric.
the pppd implementation is very low activity, but rather mature, for
instance.

An Ottawa company, https://www.securifylabs.com/ is also attempting to do
something similar, with the idea of (corporate) crowd sourcing verification
efforts. There are some methodological problems with their first take of
which the company is aware.

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [