Subject: [codec] I-D Action: draft-ietf-codec-oggopus-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 10:39:04 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Internet Wideband Audio Codec Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Ogg Encapsulation for the Opus Audio Codec
        Authors         : Timothy B. Terriberry
                          Ron Lee
                          Ralph Giles
	Filename        : draft-ietf-codec-oggopus-11.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2016-01-28

Abstract:
   This document defines the Ogg encapsulation for the Opus interactive
   speech and audio codec.  This allows data encoded in the Opus format
   to be stored in an Ogg logical bitstream.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-codec-oggopus/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-codec-oggopus-11

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-codec-oggopus-11

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Mark Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 01:15:57 -0800

I see a minor issue with a change in the new version -11 of this draft.
This version of the draft changes:

    "It is possible to run an Opus decoder at other sampling rates,
but the value in the granule position field always counts samples
assuming a 48 kHz decoding rate ..."

to:

    "It is possible to run an Opus decoder at other sampling rates,
but all of them evenly divide 48 kHz.  Therefore, the value in the
granule position field always counts samples assuming a 48 kHz
decoding rate ..."

Although the reference decoder can only decode at sampling rates that
evenly divide 48 kHz, this change inaccurately implies that it is not
possible to write an Opus decoder that decodes at another rate.  How
about this wording:

    It is possible to run an Opus decoder at other sampling rates, but
a sampling rate of 48 kHz is sufficient to capture the full audio
bandwidth of any Opus packet.  Therefore, the value in the granule
position field always counts samples assuming a 48 kHz decoding rate
...

 - Mark