Subject: [codec] Document Action: 'Guidelines for Development of an Audio Codec Within the IETF' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-codec-guidelines-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 09:17:47 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Guidelines for Development of an Audio Codec Within the IETF'
  (draft-ietf-codec-guidelines-08.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Internet Wideband Audio Codec Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-codec-guidelines/

Technical Summary

  This document provides general guidelines for work on developing and
  specifying a codec within the IETF.  These guidelines cover the
  development process, evaluation, requirements conformance, and
  intellectual property issues.

Working Group Summary
  
The document was the subject of much discussion, as the work of the CODEC working group
   in general is contentious. In general the testing aspect of this has been the most contentious, 
  due to the differing methodologies used by IETF relative to other SDOs. The IPR sections also 
  got much discussion. These were resolved without too much difficulty and we believe the 
  document reflects consensus of the group.

Document Quality

  This document does not specify a protocol and therefore there are no implementations. 
  However it has been looked at, and commented on, by numerous experts in voice coding 
  as well as experts in IETF process.

Personnel

  Robert Sparks is the responsible Area Director.
  Jonathan Rosenberg is the document shepherd.