Subject: [codec] Tonal language: Punjabi?

From: "Christian Hoene" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 17:21:43 +0200

Hello,

would it make sense to do testing with the tonal language Punjabi instead or
in addition to Chinese?
We have a same Pakistan and Indian friends here, which can do the testing.

Any thoughts?

Christian

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----
Dr.-Ing. Christian Hoene, University of Tübingen, Computer Science, Chair of
Communication Networks, Research Group Interactive Communication Systems
(ICS)
Sand 13, 72076 Tübingen, Germany, Tel +49 7071 2970532,
www.net.uni-tuebingen.de

---

From: Steve Underwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 23:41:29 +0800

> We have a same Pakistan and Indian friends here, which can do the testing.
Be more specific. If you are interested in tonal performance you need to 
test with Cantonese. All Chinese languages have a tonal element, but the 
importance of tone in Cantonese is much higher than in, say, Mandarin.

I've heard than Vietnamese is another language with an important tonal 
element, but I have no personal experience.

Steve