Subject: Re: [codec] [payload] Padding in draft-ietf-codec-opus-07?

From: "Christian Hoene" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:43:00 -0400

> Well, it is possible for Opus to be transmitted in real-time over
> something other than RTP. 

 [Christian Hoene] Yes, now I remember the discussion. You are meaning
Bluetooth links, don't you?

---

From: Jean-Marc Valin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:49:34 -0400

> Bluetooth links, don't you?

I meant anything other than RTP, like plain UDP, websockets, RTMFP and
whatnot.

	Jean-Marc

---

From: "Christian Hoene" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 07:35:39 -0400

Good morning Jean-Marc,

> I meant anything other than RTP, like plain UDP, websockets, RTMFP and

[Christian Hoene] In order to bring this issues form the table fast, I would
suggest to look for a compromise.

My first suggestion:

a) Move the Chapter 3 to a non-normative Appendix and explain that is
intended for plain UDP and TCP, websockets, RTMFP, Bluetooth, ...
b) Copy Chapter 3 to the payload specification and let the PAYLOAD WG decide
on further modifications as they are the experts in framing and padding.
c) In order to support transmission over TCP, I would recommend a change of
mode c=3: A length is given to the last frame in the packet of multiple
frames. 

Is this ok for you?

With best regards,

 Christian Hoene