Subject: [codec] Opus ready for testing

From: Jean-Marc Valin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 01:48:07 -0500

Hi everyone,

We'd like to announce that the Opus codec is now ready for testing. The 
bit-stream is now is a "pseudo-freeze", which means that unless a 
problem is found during testing/review, there are no longer any changes 
planned. The only exception to this are the SILK-mode FEC and the stereo 
SILK mode, which should be landing in the next few days. Considering 
that these are not critical features, we felt like the testing phase 
could already begin.

You can get the source code in two different ways. There is a release 
tarball at http://jmvalin.ca/opus/opus-0.9.0.tar.gz . You can also 
extract the source directly from the I-D ( 
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-codec-opus-02.txt ) with the following 
command:

cat draft-ietf-codec-opus-02.txt | grep '^\ \ \ ###' |
sed 's/\s\s\s###//' | base64 -d > opus_source.tar.gz

There may still be a few rough edges, so let us know if you run into any 
problem. Also, be aware that some combinations of invalid options to the 
test_opus executable may result in a segfault rather than a more useful 
error message. Also, if you are planning some listening test, let us 
know the exact command line you are planning to use so we can make sure 
there is no problem.

Cheers,

	Jean-Marc

---

From: "Christian Hoene" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 09:50:51 +0100

Hi Jean-Marc,

Great news! May I ask whether the source code given in that URL is the same
as git clone git:///git.xiph.org/users/jm/ietfcodec.git (currently)?

With best regards,
 Christian 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
> Of Jean-Marc Valin
> Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 7:48 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [codec] Opus ready for testing
> 
> Hi everyone,
> 
bit-
> stream is now is a "pseudo-freeze", which means that unless a problem is
> found during testing/review, there are no longer any changes planned. The
> only exception to this are the SILK-mode FEC and the stereo SILK mode,
> which should be landing in the next few days. Considering that these are
not
> critical features, we felt like the testing phase could already begin.
> 
tarball
> at http://jmvalin.ca/opus/opus-0.9.0.tar.gz . You can also extract the
source
> directly from the I-D (
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-codec-opus-02.txt )
> with the following
> command:
> 
> cat draft-ietf-codec-opus-02.txt | grep '^\ \ \ ###' | sed 's/\s\s\s###//'
|
> base64 -d > opus_source.tar.gz
> 
error
> message. Also, if you are planning some listening test, let us know the
exact
> command line you are planning to use so we can make sure there is no
> problem.
> 
> Cheers,
> 
> 	Jean-Marc
> _______________________________________________
> codec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/codec

---

From: Jean-Marc Valin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 09:21:16 -0500

Yes, the source code in the tarball, the draft and (until the next 
commit) git are identical. The only difference is in which files are 
included. git contains everything, the tarbal does not include the SILK 
fixed-point code (still working on the fixed-point build system, but 
fixed-point itself works), and the draft only includes the minimum 
necessary (though it will include fixed-point SILK).

	Jean-Marc

On 11-02-04 03:50 AM, Christian Hoene wrote:
>> base64 -d>  opus_source.tar.gz
>>

---

From: Anthony Minessale <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 15:47:41 -0600

Thanks for the hard work and all your help.
I have checked a mod_opus for people to play with into FreeSWITCH.
http://fisheye.freeswitch.org/changelog/freeswitch.git/?cs=8f565277e3a9e814c12779f3d51f2527a081ef99

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Jean-Marc Valin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> bit-stream is now is a "pseudo-freeze", which means that unless a problem is
> only exception to this are the SILK-mode FEC and the stereo SILK mode, which
> should be landing in the next few days. Considering that these are not
> tarball at http://jmvalin.ca/opus/opus-0.9.0.tar.gz . You can also extract
> the source directly from the I-D (
> error message. Also, if you are planning some listening test, let us know
> the exact command line you are planning to use so we can make sure there is
> no problem.
>
> Cheers,
>
>        Jean-Marc

-- 
Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/FreeSWITCH_wire

AIM: anthm
MSN:[email-masked]
GTALK/JABBER/PAYPAL:[email-masked]
IRC: irc.freenode.net #freeswitch

FreeSWITCH Developer Conference
sip:[email-masked]
googletalk:[email-masked]
pstn:+19193869900

---

From: Gregory Maxwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 14:01:25 -0800

Please don't negotiate and signal this as "opus".  I don't want to see non-interoperable non-spec implementations getting out there and causing problems when it negotiates it and then produces garbage output.

________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Anthony Minessale [[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 9:47 PM
To: Jean-Marc Valin
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [codec] Opus ready for testing

--
Anthony Minessale II

AIM: anthm

---

From: Anthony Minessale <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:14:19 -0600

Changed to Opus-0.9.0

-- 
Anthony Minessale II

AIM: anthm

---

From: James Cloos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 12:16:16 -0500

>>>>> "JV" == Jean-Marc Valin <[email-masked]> writes:

JV> Yes, the source code in the tarball, the draft and (until the next
JV> commit) git are identical.

The repo seems to lack any tags.  It would be useful if each tar
release were tagged, even pre-releases such as 0.9.0.  (A signed
tag is best, so that git describe works.)

-JimC
-- 
James Cloos <[email-masked]>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

---

From: Jean-Marc Valin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 17:18:15 -0500

Sorry, I had it tagged, but forgot to push. Tag is "v0.9".

	Jean-Marc

On 11-02-05 12:16 PM, James Cloos wrote:
>>>>>> "JV" == Jean-Marc Valin<[email-masked]>  writes:
>