Subject: Re: [codec] requirements #18 (closed): Frame Sizes?

From: "codec issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 23:28:57 -0000

#18: Frame Sizes?

Changes (by gmaxwell@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => worksforme

Comment:

 The frame sizes are driven by the latent requirements. I don't believe
 that there has been any preference expressed for frame sizes independent
 of the latency preferences.

 The requirements documents discusses latency in depth:

 http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-codec-requirements-02.txt

 Section 2.1 "The codec delay must be less than 40 ms, but no more than
 25ms is desirable."
 Section 2.2 "For this reason, the codec delay must be less than 30 ms for
 this application.  An optional low-delay mode with less than 10 ms delay
 is desirable, but not required."
 Section 2.5 " While for most applications a codec delay up to 30 ms is
 acceptable, a low-delay (<10 ms) option is highly desirable, especially
 for games with rapid interactions."
 etc.

 I believe the language of the current requirements draft reflects the best
 consensus that we were able to achieve— a fairly open _requirement_ but a
 strong preference for lower delay support for many applications.

-- 
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  hoene@…                 |        Owner:            
     Type:  enhancement             |       Status:  closed    
 Priority:  major                   |    Milestone:            
Component:  requirements            |      Version:            
 Severity:  -                       |   Resolution:  worksforme
 Keywords:                          |  
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/codec/trac/ticket/18#comment:3>
codec <http://tools.ietf.org/codec/>