Subject: Re: [codec] requirements #29 (closed): Packet loss concealment?

From: "codec issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 23:37:15 -0000

#29: Packet loss concealment?

Changes (by gmaxwell@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 This is addressed in the guidelines:

 http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-valin-codec-guidelines-08
 4.5: "To ensure freedom of implementation, decoder-side only error
 concealment does not need to be specified, although the reference
 implementation should include the same PLC algorithm as used in the
 testing phase.  Is it up to the working group to decide whether minimum
 requirements on PLC quality will be required for compliance with the
 specification.  Obviously, any information signaled in the bitstream
 intended to aid PLC needs to be specified."

 I don't believe the working group has expressed interest in PLC
 performance, and I know that there is at least some opposition to
 requiring specific that implementers provide a particular PLC or PLC
 performance (e.g. I'd be opposed to requiring a particular kind of PLC).
 As such, Jean-Marc is adding the following parallel language to section 3
 of the requirements document:

 "To ensure freedom of implementation, decoder-side only error concealment
 does not need to be specified, although a functional PLC algorithm is
 desirable as part of the codec reference implementation.  Obviously,
 any information signaled in the bitstream intended to aid PLC needs to be
 specified."
 (Available at http://jmvalin.ca/misc_stuff/draft-ietf-codec-
 requirements.txt)

-- 
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  hoene@…                 |        Owner:        
     Type:  defect                  |       Status:  closed
 Priority:  major                   |    Milestone:        
Component:  requirements            |      Version:        
 Severity:  -                       |   Resolution:  fixed 
 Keywords:                          |  
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/codec/trac/ticket/29#comment:2>
codec <http://tools.ietf.org/codec/>