Subject: Re: [codec] requirements #28 (closed): Layered bit-stream

From: "codec issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 00:18:08 -0000

#28: Layered bit-stream

Changes (by gmaxwell@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => worksforme

Comment:

 I haven't seen any recent discussion or interest in changing the current
 "desirable but not mandatory" language in the requirements draft.

 http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-codec-requirements-02.txt
 5.3.  Layered bit-stream

    A layered codec makes it possible to transmit only a certain subset
    of the bits and still obtain a valid bit-stream with a quality that
    is equivalent to the quality that would be obtained from encoding at
    the corresponding rate.  While this is not a necessary feature for
    most applications, it can be desirable for cases where a "mixing
    server" needs to handle a large number of streams with limited
    computational resources.

-- 
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  hoene@…                 |        Owner:            
     Type:  defect                  |       Status:  closed    
 Priority:  minor                   |    Milestone:            
Component:  requirements            |      Version:            
 Severity:  Active WG Document      |   Resolution:  worksforme
 Keywords:                          |  
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/codec/trac/ticket/28#comment:3>
codec <http://tools.ietf.org/codec/>