Subject: Re: [codec] requirements #23 (new): Impact of packet headers and header compression

From: "codec issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 23:42:58 -0000

#23: Impact of packet headers and header compression

Comment(by gmaxwell@…):

 Vaguely related: http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-codec-
 requirements-02.txt
 Section 1. "Codec bit-rates in bits per second (b/s) will be considered
 without counting any overhead (IP/UDP/RTP headers, padding, ...)." and
 Section 4.2 " When comparing the bit-rate of codecs, the overhead of
 IP/UDP/RTP headers should not be considered, but any additional bits
 required in the RTP payload format after the header (e.g. required
 signalling) should be considered. "

 Because header overhead is generally dependent on the transport, and not
 our activities I don't believe that we really have much to require here
 from the codec itself.

 Unless someone has some specific proposed requirement language to suggest,
 I propose that we close this ticket and leave any requirements related to
 RTP packetization to the specific RFCs describing the packetization.

-- 
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  hoene@…                 |       Owner:     
     Type:  enhancement             |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major                   |   Milestone:     
Component:  requirements            |     Version:     
 Severity:  -                       |    Keywords:     
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/codec/trac/ticket/23#comment:2>
codec <http://tools.ietf.org/codec/>