Subject: [codec] Naming the modes

From: Jean-Marc Valin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 06:59:24 -0500

Hi,

So far we've had three Opus modes named SILK, CELT and Hybrid. Because
of the potential confusion with the stand-alone versions of SILK and
CELT released in the past, we thought it might be better to find new
names for these modes. Anyone has a good suggestion for naming these
modes? Here's some initial suggestions:

- Speech/Audio/Hybrid (or just S/A/H)
- LPC/MDCT/Hybrid (or just L/M/H)
- A/B/C
- 1/2/3

Any thoughts?

	Jean-Marc

---

From: "Pascal Pochol" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 09:20:40 -0600

Jean-Marc,

> - Speech/Audio/Hybrid (or just S/A/H)

Not being in the audio field myself (just a user of the library) this is by
far my favorite, I can understand what it means and easily explain it to
others. FYI: SAH.org - Society of Architectural Historians

And just to help with the brainstorming I'll throw in some names too not
particularly better

 Voice/Music/Hybrid
 Voice/Music/Generic
 Simple/Complex/Multipurpose

I know it's not only for music, but if you think about it every sound is
music to someone's ears.

-Pascal

---

From: "Benjamin M. Schwartz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 10:25:03 -0500

> Any thoughts?

I think the codec has _two_ modes, not three: Voice and Universal.  Voice
mode operates at 8, 12, 16, 32, or 48 KHz.  Universal mode operates at 8,
16, 32, or 48 KHz.  The available window sizes depend on the mode and
sample rate... although perhaps it would be better to abstract this away
and allow 40 and 60 ms frames at all samplerates in Voice mode.

The exact manner in which these sample rates are implemented is a detail
irrelevant to the user.

--Ben

---

From: Jean-Marc Valin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 10:45:13 -0500

Note that these modes names are meant to describe now the codec works, not 
necessarily the user-visible API.

	Jean-Marc

On 10-12-02 10:25 AM, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> codec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/codec