Subject: [codec] Codec prototype

From: Jean-Marc Valin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 19:16:07 -0400

Hi guys,

We have just completed a very early prototype hybrid codec that combined 
SILK and CELT to encode 48 kHz speech. We have submitted an I-D that 
describes the resulting codec: 
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-valin-codec-prototype-00.txt . This is still 
very incomplete, but we preferred to submit early so that people can have a 
look at what we've been doing. This first version has no flexibility 
(except for the bit-rate), but that should get better. Same with the 
quality -- there's been no tuning yet.

The code is available with a git repository at 
git://git.xiph.org/users/jm/silk.git . It also depends on the CELT 
repository (git://git.xiph.org/celt.git) and an "unofficial" SILK 
repository (git://git.xiph.org/users/jm/silk.git). See the README file for 
basic instruction on building the code. The current build system is highly 
non-user-friendly, so please bear with us.

There is a complete tarball of the current version (for those who don't 
have git) at: http://people.xiph.org/~jm/ietfcodec/ along with samples at 
http://people.xiph.org/~jm/ietfcodec/samples-20100705/ . Unlike previous 
samples, these are *not* simulations and are produced without any cheating 
by the hybrid codec prototype. The rates are 32, 40 and 48 kb/s CBR.

Enjoy,

	Jean-Marc and Koen

---

From: Jean-Marc Valin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 22:18:10 -0400

Hi,

It turns out that the code we sent yesterday had a pretty nasty bug that 
affected quality. I updated the snapshot and audio samples at 
http://people.xiph.org/~jm/ietfcodec/ . As you can see, there's now 
samples down to 24 kb/s.

Of course, this is still early work and we should be able to further 
improve quality.

Cheers,

	Jean-Marc

On 10-07-05 07:16 PM, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-valin-codec-prototype-00.txt . This is
> still very incomplete, but we preferred to submit early so that people
> can have a look at what we've been doing. This first version has no
> flexibility (except for the bit-rate), but that should get better. Same
> with the quality -- there's been no tuning yet.
>
> repository (git://git.xiph.org/users/jm/silk.git). See the README file
> for basic instruction on building the code. The current build system is
> highly non-user-friendly, so please bear with us.
>
> have git) at: http://people.xiph.org/~jm/ietfcodec/ along with samples
> at http://people.xiph.org/~jm/ietfcodec/samples-20100705/ . Unlike
> previous samples, these are *not* simulations and are produced without
> any cheating by the hybrid codec prototype. The rates are 32, 40 and 48
> kb/s CBR.
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Jean-Marc and Koen
> _______________________________________________
> codec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/codec
>
>