Subject: [codec] Codec development update

From: Jean-Marc Valin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 16:39:58 -0400

Hi folks,

Here's a quick update on actual development of the codec. So far, in terms 
of integration, we are still at the experiment stage with the simulated 
files (these were not actual codecs) I sent earlier combining SILK, 
BroadVoice and CELT. The original email is at 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/codec/current/msg01241.html and the 
files are at: http://jmvalin.ca/codec_experiment1/

At the same time, CELT has been improved to facilitate potential 
integration within a future codec. These are the changes made so far:

- Reducing the code size
- Improving support for 20 ms frames
- Allowing dynamic switching of frame size (between 2.5, 5, 10 and 20 ms)
- Adding a configuration option for skipping the low frequencies
- Improving the tuning for lower bit-rate speech

Those who want to follow the development from the CELT side (and try the 
latest code) can do so by getting the "master" branch in the git 
repository. See http://git.xiph.org/?p=celt.git for details. Note that this 
code is *not* bit-stream compatible with the latest release (0.7.1), nor 
with the latest I-D (based on 0.6.1).

Cheers,

	Jean-Marc

---

From: Koen Vos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 14:03:39 -0700

Here's a similar update about SILK:

We've modified SILK based on general feedback and to make it more  
suited for a hybrid implementation:

- Added a 10 ms frame size mode
- Added resamplers so that the API can now also handle input/output  
signals with 32 or 48 kHz sampling rate
- Added a configuration option to use CELT's range coder
- Reducing program size, mostly through smaller ROM tables (ongoing)

We're working on setting up a git repository for sharing the latest  
version and to facilitate collaboration.

best,
koen.

Quoting Jean-Marc Valin:

> Hi folks,
>
> Here's a quick update on actual development of the codec. So far, in  
> terms of integration, we are still at the experiment stage with the  
> simulated files (these were not actual codecs) I sent earlier  
> combining SILK, BroadVoice and CELT. The original email is at  
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/codec/current/msg01241.html and  
> the files are at: http://jmvalin.ca/codec_experiment1/
>
> Those who want to follow the development from the CELT side (and try  
> the latest code) can do so by getting the "master" branch in the git  
> repository. See http://git.xiph.org/?p=celt.git for details. Note  
> that this code is *not* bit-stream compatible with the latest  
> release (0.7.1), nor with the latest I-D (based on 0.6.1).
>
> Cheers,
>
> 	Jean-Marc
> _______________________________________________
> codec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/codec
>