Subject: [codec] #27: Testing Impact on IP on Codec Performance

From: "codec issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 12:45:16 -0000

#27: Testing Impact on IP on Codec Performance
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  hoene@…                 |       Owner:     
     Type:  defect                  |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major                   |   Milestone:     
Component:  requirements            |     Version:     
 Severity:  Active WG Document      |    Keywords:     
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 The CODEC shall be tested against realistic traces of IP packets. The
 draft writes

    "The actual packet
    loss "patterns" to be used in testing must be obtained from real
    packet loss traces collected on the Internet, rather than from loss
    models.  These traces should be representative of the typical
    environments in which the applications of Section 2 operate.  For
    example, traces related to VoIP calls should consider the loss
    patterns observed for typical home broadband and corporate
    connections."

 Hoene wrote
 "  The testing of ACS and the quality characterization shall be
    performed with real network profiles such as with [TIA-921] or those
    given in the appendix [TS.26114-830], not with fixed set of "average
    distributed errors and losses". Later do not clearly reflect the
    Internet nature."

 The ITU-T has standardized G.1050 (aka TIA-921) and Telchemy is providing
 an open source implementation:
 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg06710.html
 http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.1050-200711-I/en

 But then again, which glue (rate control, dejitter buffer) shall be used
 between IP and codec?

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/codec/trac/ticket/27>
codec <http://tools.ietf.org/codec/>

---

From: "codec issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 12:46:13 -0000

#27: Testing Impact of IP on Codec Performance

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/codec/trac/ticket/27#comment:1>
codec <http://tools.ietf.org/codec/>