Subject: [codec] matrix wiki page

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 11:09:29 -0700

<hat type='chair'/>

We have a stub page about codecs:

http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/codec/trac/wiki/CodecMatrix

There is a similar page here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_audio_formats

In the informal call just now, Raymond Chen mentioned a matrix that was
produced by the PacketCable group and perhaps he could provide a link to
that by replying to this message. Other such matrices might exist -- if
you know about them, please mention them on the list.

Let's put some effort into improving the matrix page or pages before the
Anaheim meeting. Suggestions are welcome on the list here, and don't
forget that it's a wiki so feel free to get yourself a Trac account and
start making changes to the wiki page.

http://trac.tools.ietf.org/newlogin

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: "Raymond (Juin-Hwey) Chen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 14:45:41 -0800

There are very comprehensive codec comparison tables in Annex C (for narrowband at 8 kHz sampling) and Annex D (for wideband at 16 kHz sampling) of the PacketCable 2.0 Codec and Media Specification document available at

http://www.cablelabs.com/specifications/PKT-SP-CODEC-MEDIA-I08-100120.pdf .

The two Annexes are all the way near the end from page 84 to page 91 according to the page labels at the bottom of the pages, or page 90 to page 97 according to PDF page counter.

Raymond

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Peter Saint-Andre
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 10:09 AM
To: Codec WG
Subject: [codec] matrix wiki page

<hat type='chair'/>

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Herve Taddei <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:42:06 +0100

> you know about them, please mention them on the list.

I kindly remind you that ITU-T sent a LS to IETF in July 2009 with a Media
Coding Summary Database attached to it. It is quite an exhaustive list of
codecs. 

Hervé

---

From: Stephan Wenger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:39:43 +0100

For our newcomers and non-process geeks:
IETF liaison statements are recorded here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/
Scroll down to 2009/7/14.

The document Herve referred to is this one:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/documents/LIAISON/file663.xls

Stephan

On 3.10.2010 09:42 , "Herve Taddei" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> codec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/codec

---

From: Keith Lantz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:45:18 -0800

Hi Raymond. Long time no talk. 

Everyone: The document Raymond is referring to is one of the two I referenced in my email a week ago. It contains far more information than is currently on the wiki. And to repeat more of that week-ago message: I have the Excel workbook that provided the basis for the referenced Annexes -- plus similar, but less complete, data on super-wideband codecs such as AAC and AC-3 -- and if there is interest I will volunteer to attempt to secure CableLabs' formal approval to make it publicly available.

Regards, Keith

This is precisely the document (and matrices) I mentioned last

---

From: Keith Lantz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:39:26 -0800

And that is the second of the two documents I referenced in my message a week ago. Thx, Stephan!

Keith