Subject: [codec] WG kick-off

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:23:30 -0700

Welcome to the IETF's Codec WG!

The Chairs (Michael Knappe and Peter Saint-Andre), assisted by Technical
Adviser Stephan Wenger, look forward to working with you all to meet the
objectives defined in our charter:

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/codec-charter.html

Please note that we have some helpful tools at our disposal, including
issue tracking and wiki pages, at the following URL:

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/codec/

Our first order of business is preparing for a productive WG session at
IETF 77. We have requested a two-hour time slot because we envision a
full agenda. We are thinking about holding an interim meeting via
conference call a few weeks before IETF 77 as a way to make sure that
we're all prepared (we will post more about that soon). And perhaps most
important, we also plan to hold a less formal meet-and-greet in Anaheim
so that WG participants can get to know each other outside the official
WG session (the first round of beers will be on the chairs!).

As evident from discussions on this list prior to formation of the WG,
our technical requirements and work processes are of supreme importance
in making forward progress. The chairs will post to the list about both
of those topics in the next few days, and will also be seeking direct
input from WG participants. To start off our work in as neutral a manner
as possible, the chairs will maintain editorship of the relevant
Internet-Drafts, with a goal of naming editors at (or soon after) IETF 77.

Working on codecs provides a new challenge for the IETF, but we think
this group is up to the challenge.

Let's get to work! :)

Peter Saint-Andre and Michael Knappe
co-chairs