Subject: [codec] preparing for the BoF

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 11:37:02 -0700

This message is intended to help participants prepare for the Codec BoF
at IETF 76.

Date: November 12, 2009

Time: 13:00-15:00 local time
      04:00-06:00 UTC

(Note: this is the evening of November 11 in North America!)

Building:
   ANA Crowne Plaza Hiroshima Hotel
   7-20 Nakamachi, Naka-ku
   Hiroshima 730-0037 JAPAN
   Tel: +81 82-241-1111
   http://www.anacrowneplaza-hiroshima.jp/en/

Room:
   Orchid East
   http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/76/venue/?room=orchid-east

Description:

   At IETF 75, the IETF held a BoF about the possibility of forming a
working group to develop one or more audio codecs that would be
optimized for use in Internet applications and that could be widely
implemented and easily distributed among application developers, service
operators, and end users. The BoF at IETF 75 was inconclusive regarding
the matter of forming a working group. Since then, the two main open
issues have been addressed through publication and discussion of
Internet-Drafts about the proposed work processes and technical
requirements of a Codec WG (see links below). In addition, the IETF and
ITU-T have held discussions pursuant to the liaison agreement in place
regarding cooperation and coordination of activities related to media
codecs. The BoF at IETF 76 will build on this work in an attempt to
reach consensus about whether to charter a working group.

Agenda:
   http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/09nov/agenda/codec.txt

Audio:
   http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf766.m3u

Chat Room:
   xmpp:[email-masked]?join

Chat Logs:
   http://www.ietf.org/jabber/logs/codec/

Draft Charter:
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/attachment/wiki/BifIETF76/codec-charter.txt

Summary of previous BoF:
   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/codec/current/msg00540.html

Proposed work process:
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-valin-codec-guidelines-02

Proposed requirements:
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-valin-codec-requirements-02

Submitted codecs:
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-spiritdsp-ipmr-00
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-valin-celt-codec-01
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-vos-silk-00

Other related drafts:
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoene-avt-acs-requirements-00

Mailing list archives:
   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/codec/current/maillist.html

Chairs: Eric Burger and Peter Saint-Andre

Responsible AD: Cullen Jennings

IAB Shepherd: Gregory Lebovitz

HTH,

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/