Subject: [codec] Liaison from 3GPP

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 08:15:34 -0600

IETF received the following liaison from 3GPP.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/562/

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:10:27 +0200 (CEST)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/562/

The point about how important "royalty free" was considered by a lot of 
the people at the mic at the WG BOF in Stockholm seems to have been missed 
by 3GPP (at least that is my conclusion after reading point 3 of the 
liaison).

How do we communicate that this is a fundamental requirement for an "Sound 
over Internet" standard?

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 16:43:03 -0400

One obvious path would be to have a process by which the IETF could 
determine what it considers to be the requirements, and get community 
confirmation of that agreement.  We can then make that avaialble to the 
ITU, 3GPP, et. al.   It would seem likely that the community would adopt 
wording about the Codec being royalty and license free.  (Whether it 
would adopt as strong wording as you want, or weaker, or even stronger, 
would be determined by the community.)

An IETF working group to define these requirements would seem a 
practical way to determine the community requirements.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> the people at the mic at the WG BOF in Stockholm seems to have been 
> missed by 3GPP (at least that is my conclusion after reading point 3 of 
> the liaison).
> 
> How do we communicate that this is a fundamental requirement for an 
> "Sound over Internet" standard?
>