Subject: [codec] Draft on Requirements

From: "Christian Hoene" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:36:03 +0200

Hi all,

since the 73rd IETF Meeting in Minneapolis, I have followed the discussions
on whether to standardized codecs at the IETF or not. Especially, the
discussions on this mailing list have been quite fruitful - if you ignore
the turf wars, codec competitions and repeated arguments.

Based on these emails and on my previous summary at
https://groupware1.cs.uni-tuebingen.de/wiki/codec_bof/index.php/Requirements
, and on the standards and requirement documents of ITU, 3GPP and OMA, I
have written this requirement document.
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-hoene-avt-acs-requirements-00.txt

I tried to avoid a purely codec-centric view. Instead, I also considered the
users and the network view to get a better understanding of the real
underlying problem that needs to be solved. 

Please consider this ID as input to the discussion on a proposed WG charter.

I like to express my gratitude to all participants of the discussions and
please accept my apologies, if I have used your wordings without mentioning
you as an author.

With Best Regards,

 Christian Hoene

--------------------------------------------------------
Dr.-Ing. Christian Hoene
Interactive Communication Systems (ICS), University of Tübingen
Sand 13, 72076 Tübingen, Germany, Phone +49 7071 2970532
http://www.net.uni-tuebingen.de/

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 1:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-hoene-avt-acs-requirements-00 

A new version of I-D, draft-hoene-avt-acs-requirements-00.txt has been
successfully submitted by Christian Hoene and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-hoene-avt-acs-requirements
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Requirements of an Audio Communication System (ACS)
Creation_date:	 2009-08-17
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 24

Abstract:
This document describes the requirements of an audio communication 
system (ACS) for acoustic content, especially speech and music. The 
ACS consists of all components above the IP layer and below a digital 
PCM audio interface. These include codec, jitter buffer, and 
transport. 

The goal of the ACS is to provide a bidirectional acoustic 
communication between any two Internet hosts at a good quality, 
constrained only by the available resources at the hosts and the 
characteristics of the transmission path between both hosts. 

The intention of the document is to provide the requirements for a 
codec that is solely intended for the Internet, to provide the 
requirements for the codec's payload specification, and to define the 
requirements on the transport protocol.

The IETF Secretariat.

---

From: Alexander Chemeris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:01:25 +0400

Hi Christian,

> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-hoene-avt-acs-requirements-00.txt

To keep things clear - what is the relationship between the wiki page
and the I-D?
I.e. which one contains most recent data, etc.

-- 
Regards,
Alexander Chemeris.

SIPez LLC.
SIP VoIP, IM and Presence Consulting
http://www.SIPez.com
tel: +1 (617) 273-4000

---

From: "Christian Hoene" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:18:05 +0200

> I.e. which one contains most recent data, etc.

The wiki page was only a (neutral) summary of emails. The I-D contains more data. I added some of the requirements used for G.718, G.719 and TS26.114. I have include same of the arguments in the emails between July 16th and today into my I-D. The I-D does not tries to be neutral thus is more consistent. 

Christian