Subject: [codec] Codec Tuotorial

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:37:28 -0600

I received a request to run a tutorial on codecs. I have decided to  
not approve this but before you get out your torches and pitch forks,  
let me explain why.

I think approving this would be getting too far ahead of ourselves.  
Typically the IETF avoids using meeting time for tutorials other than  
the EDU events. There have been exceptions to this in the past such as  
the ICE tutorials which helped educate people on the nuances of ICE  
which in turn helped the WG reach consensus on technical topics.  A  
codec tutorial might help if we were doing detailed codec work if a WG  
was formed, but right now we are still in the process of deciding if a  
WG should be formed. I don't think a codec tutorial is going to  
contribute very much to that.

For folks that do want to learn more about codecs, or argue the finer  
points of codec design, I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity  
to talk to codec experts over many fine beers.

Cullen <RAI AD>

---

From: Greg Herlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 16:02:41 -0700

This seems like a practical choice to me.  Ah, if only I could attend and
share some of that beer!

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> I received a request to run a tutorial on codecs. I have decided to not
> approve this but before you get out your torches and pitch forks, let me
> explain why.
>
> Typically the IETF avoids using meeting time for tutorials other than the
> EDU events. There have been exceptions to this in the past such as the ICE
> tutorials which helped educate people on the nuances of ICE which in turn
> helped the WG reach consensus on technical topics.  A codec tutorial might
> help if we were doing detailed codec work if a WG was formed, but right now
> we are still in the process of deciding if a WG should be formed. I don't
> think a codec tutorial is going to contribute very much to that.
>
> points of codec design, I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity to talk
> to codec experts over many fine beers.
>
> Cullen <RAI AD>
>
> _______________________________________________
> codec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/codec
>

-- 
Greg Herlein
www.herlein.com

---

From: Steve Underwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:02:45 +0800

> to talk to codec experts over many fine beers.
"codec tutorial" seems a little vague. What is the intended subject 
matter? How they work? What their goals are? What their limitations are?

Steve

---

From: Jean-Marc Valin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:35:06 -0400

> matter? How they work? What their goals are? What their limitations are?

The original idea was a sort of "crash course in audio coding", but I guess 
we can just make this an informal codec discussion over beer!

Cheers,

	Jean-Marc