Subject: [appsdir] Fwd: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-13.txt> (UDP Usage Guidelines) to Best Current Practice

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 12:53:04 +0200

Seeking a reviewer for draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-13?  Any takers?

Thanks,

Eliot

Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-13.txt> (UDP Usage Guidelines) to Best Current Practice
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF-Announce" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 17:17:06 -0700
List-Id: "IETF announcement list. No discussions." <ietf-announce.ietf.org>

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Area Working Group WG
(tsvwg) to consider the following document:
- 'UDP Usage Guidelines'
  <draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-13.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-05-31. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The User Datagram Protocol (UDP) provides a minimal message-passing
   transport that has no inherent congestion control mechanisms.  This
   document provides guidelines on the use of UDP for the designers of
   applications, tunnels and other protocols that use UDP.  Congestion
   control guidelines are a primary focus, but the document also
   provides guidance on other topics, including message sizes,
   reliability, checksums, middlebox traversal, the use of ECN, DSCPs,
   and ports.

   Because congestion control is critical to the stable operation of the
   Internet, applications and other protocols that choose to use UDP as
   an Internet transport must employ mechanisms to prevent congestion
   collapse and to establish some degree of fairness with concurrent
   traffic.  They may also need to implement additional mechanisms,
   depending on how they use UDP.

   Some guidance is also applicable to the design of other protocols
   (e.g., protocols layered directly on IP or via IP-based tunnels),
   especially when these protocols do not themselves provide congestion
   control.

   This document obsoletes RFC5405 and adds guidelines for multicast UDP
   usage.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.