Subject: [appsdir] Review request: draft-ietf-tsvwg-circuit-breaker-07.txt

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 15:04:09 +0200

Hi everyone,

The attached draft talks about a "circuit breaker" that could sit at
certain points in the network to prevent congestion collapse on
otherwise uncontrolled flows.  This HAPPENS today and is the normal form
of a policing function in a QoS model, and it's great that Gory is
documenting it.

However, circuit breakers can and do cause applications problems (David
can correct me but I think this was part of the impetus of the draft, in
fact).  A misbehaving circuit breaker in particular might really throw
people for a loop.

I am seeking a reviewer, and would like to double-team on this draft
with that person to get a timely review done for Gory and the TSVWG.  Do
I have any takers?  Please let me know by tomorrow.  I'd like to
complete work by the end of next week, before people get to Yokohama, if
at all possible, and I'm happy to take the first cut (or not).

Eliot

Subject: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-circuit-breaker-07.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 12:39:55 -0700
List-Id: Transport Area Working Group <tsvwg.ietf.org>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Network Transport Circuit Breakers
        Author          : Godred Fairhurst
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-circuit-breaker-07.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2015-10-19

Abstract:
   This document explains what is meant by the term "network transport
   Circuit Breaker" (CB).  It describes the need for circuit breakers
   when using network tunnels, and other non-congestion controlled
   applications, and explains where circuit breakers are, and are not,
   needed.  It also defines requirements for building a circuit breaker
   and the expected outcomes of using a circuit breaker within the
   Internet.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-circuit-breaker/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-circuit-breaker-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-circuit-breaker-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/