Subject: Re: [appsdir] [apps-discuss] Request for RFC draft review

From: Claudio Allocchio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 11:42:20 +0100 (CET)

Hello...

Folks at appsdir... some one volunteers for this review? Some of us "old 
boys" are indeed old enough to remember the v1.0 of gopher, so we can 
help.. :-)

Please let Nick know!

and happy 2015 !

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014, Nick Matavka wrote:

> Hello, world!
>
> I'm writing a second RFC for the Gopher protocol, with some other people.
> I'll most probably send it to the ISE as an independent submission.  Before
> I do that, though, I would sincerely appreciate some informal review, just
> to make sure it has everything it needs.
>
> It is on piratepad, and can be seen at the address below:
>
> http://piratepad.net/gopher
>
> Edward Matavka
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Claudio Allocchio             G   A   R   R          [email-masked]
                         Senior Technical Officer
tel: +39 040 3758523      Italian Academic and       G=Claudio; S=Allocchio;
fax: +39 040 3758565        Research Network         P=garr; A=garr; C=it;

            PGP Key: http://www.cert.garr.it/PGP/keys.php3#ca

---

From: Claudio Allocchio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 14:50:19 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 31 Dec 2014, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

> What is the point of this?
>
> This isn't a rhetorical question, I actually am intrigued.

My guess is to document what as become "common practice" but was not 
inside the original standard, and to make it standardized.

As there are quite a number of "extensions" which are not officially 
documented, it is worth to document them.

At least this is my understanding of the point for making it. But Nick can 
add much more for sure.

> Arnt

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 14:15:59 +0000

> At least this is my understanding of the point for making it. But Nick can

But, I mean, gopher? I thought I was weird running an ACAP server. :-)

I've skimmed the document; I didn't immediately see any ABNF or similar
formal syntax, struggled to figure out what the syntax of a selector string
is, and I thought I noticed a casual mention that textual types were 7-bit
only. Is this really the case?

Dave.