Subject: [appsdir] 4 drafts in LC for review from weirds WG

From: Claudio Allocchio <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 08:31:07 +0200 (CEST)

Hello all,

the drafts in the forwarded LC messages deserve one of our reviews by 
2014-10-24.

If there are volunteers, please let me know by Monday morning. Then I'll 
make the assignements :-)

many thanks and have a nice w.e.!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Claudio Allocchio             G   A   R   R          [email-masked]
                         Senior Technical Officer
tel: +39 040 3758523      Italian Academic and       G=Claudio; S=Allocchio;
fax: +39 040 3758565        Research Network         P=garr; A=garr; C=it;

            PGP Key: http://www.cert.garr.it/PGP/keys.php3#ca

Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-weirds-using-http-13.txt> (HTTP usage in the Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP)) to Proposed Standard
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 15:22:07 -0700
List-Id: "IETF announcement list. No discussions." <ietf-announce.ietf.org>

The IESG has received a request from the Web Extensible Internet
Registration Data Service WG (weirds) to consider the following document:
- 'HTTP usage in the Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP)'
  <draft-ietf-weirds-using-http-13.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-10-24. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Note that this is a second Last Call. During its initial IESG Evaluation,
the IESG had several issues to address. This document has addressed
those issues.

Note also that this document refers to draft-ietf-weirds-bootstrap. Last Call
for that document is coming soon, but review on this document can
be done at this time.

Abstract

   This document is one of a collection that together describe the
   Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP).  It describes how RDAP is
   transported using the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP).  RDAP is a
   successor protocol to the very old WHOIS protocol.  The purpose of
   this document is to clarify the use of standard HTTP mechanisms for
   this application.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-weirds-using-http/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-weirds-using-http/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query-15.txt> (Registration Data Access Protocol Query Format) to Proposed Standard
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 15:25:55 -0700
List-Id: "IETF announcement list. No discussions." <ietf-announce.ietf.org>

The IESG has received a request from the Web Extensible Internet
Registration Data Service WG (weirds) to consider the following document:
- 'Registration Data Access Protocol Query Format'
  <draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query-15.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-10-24. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Note that this document refers to draft-ietf-weirds-bootstrap. Last Call
for that document is coming soon, but review on this document can
be done at this time.

Abstract

   This document describes uniform patterns to construct HTTP URLs that
   may be used to retrieve registration information from registries
   (including both Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) and Domain Name
   Registries (DNRs)) using "RESTful" web access patterns.  These
   uniform patterns define the query syntax for the Registration Data
   Access Protocol (RDAP).

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-sec-09.txt> (Security Services for the Registration Data Access Protocol) to Proposed Standard
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 15:27:01 -0700
List-Id: "IETF announcement list. No discussions." <ietf-announce.ietf.org>

The IESG has received a request from the Web Extensible Internet
Registration Data Service WG (weirds) to consider the following document:
- 'Security Services for the Registration Data Access Protocol'
  <draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-sec-09.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-10-24. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Note that this is a second Last Call. During its initial IESG Evaluation,
the IESG had several issues to address. This document has addressed
those issues.

Abstract

   The Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) provides "RESTful" web
   services to retrieve registration metadata from domain name and
   regional internet registries.  This document describes information
   security services including authentication, authorization,
   availability, data confidentiality, and data integrity for RDAP.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-sec/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-sec/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-weirds-json-response-10.txt> (JSON Responses for the Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP)) to Proposed Standard
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 15:29:52 -0700
List-Id: "IETF announcement list. No discussions." <ietf-announce.ietf.org>

The IESG has received a request from the Web Extensible Internet
Registration Data Service WG (weirds) to consider the following document:
- 'JSON Responses for the Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP)'
  <draft-ietf-weirds-json-response-10.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-10-24. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes JSON data structures representing
   registration information maintained by Regional Internet Registries
   (RIRs) and Domain Name Registries (DNRs).  These data structures are
   used to form Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) query
   responses.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-weirds-json-response/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-weirds-json-response/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 00:08:25 -0700

Hi Claudio,
At 23:31 10-10-2014, Claudio Allocchio wrote:
>the drafts in the forwarded LC messages deserve one of our reviews 
>by 2014-10-24.
>
>If there are volunteers, please let me know by Monday morning. Then 
>I'll make the assignements :-)

I have not read the drafts yet.  My comments would be too strong for 
an AppsDir review.  I prefer not to volunteer for those drafts.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 08:59:24 +0100

If your comments haven't been made before now to the Working Group, I think
you ought to make them now. If you've already stated your issues to the
Working Group and feel they've understood them, and yet still rejected
them, then you have to sit in the rough on this one - though I'm pretty
curious.

On 11 October 2014 08:08, SM <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have not read the drafts yet.  My comments would be too strong for an
> AppsDir review.  I prefer not to volunteer for those drafts.
>
> Regards,
> S. Moonesamy
> _______________________________________________
> appsdir mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/appsdir
>

---

From: Claudio Allocchio <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 14:04:16 +0200 (CEST)

> AppsDir review.  I prefer not to volunteer for those drafts.

ok, but you always have the open IETF list for them :-)

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 10:16:46 -0700

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 12:59 AM, Dave Cridland <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If your comments haven't been made before now to the Working Group, I
> think you ought to make them now. If you've already stated your issues to
> the Working Group and feel they've understood them, and yet still rejected

+1.

-MSK

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 16:00:38 -0700

> the drafts in the forwarded LC messages deserve one of our reviews by

Please note that there are six drafts total from WEIRDS now in LC, all
aimed for the 10/30 telechat.  The last of them just started Last Call
earlier today.  They're basically a family and there's a lot of
inter-document referencing.  Fortunately, most of them are short documents.

I'm one of the co-chairs, so I can't accept any review assignments on
these, but I'm happy to answer questions about them if needed.

-MSK

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 16:09:52 -0700

​I actually can’t even remember what WEIRDS is off the top of my head, but
if you think I might have any value to offer, I could look at one of them,
maybe a couple of they’re short.​

-- 
- Tim Bray (If you’d like to send me a private message, see
https://keybase.io/timbray)

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 16:44:00 -0700

> maybe a couple of they’re short.​

tl;dr: Web-based WHOIS replacement.

Two of the documents went before the IESG once before but were sent back,
partly on the premise that they'd rather see all of the documents at once.
They're getting all of them this time.

-MSK

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 11:03:46 +1100

So I can use a Web browser on it, then? Fantastic...

</sarcasm>

On 14 Oct 2014, at 10:44 am, Murray S. Kucherawy <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ​I actually can’t even remember what WEIRDS is off the top of my head, but if you think I might have any value to offer, I could look at one of them, maybe a couple of they’re short.​
> 
> Two of the documents went before the IESG once before but were sent back, partly on the premise that they'd rather see all of the documents at once.  They're getting all of them this time.
> 
> -MSK 

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Claudio Allocchio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 08:16:11 +0200 (CEST)

> They're getting all of them this time.

yes, now they are 6 and all short. Tim which one do you take?

  (but also give a quick look to the others, tun get the whole picture)

---

From: Bert Greevenbosch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 07:30:54 +0000

Hi Claudio,

I can do some reviews. I am a complete newbee in the "weirds world" though, but maybe that is good. :-)

Best regards,
Bert

> -----Original Message-----
> From: appsdir [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Claudio
> Allocchio
> Sent: 14 October 2014 14:16
> To: Murray S. Kucherawy
> Cc: [email-masked]; Tim Bray; Claudio Allocchio
> Subject: Re: [appsdir] 4 drafts in LC for review from weirds WG
> 
> 
> >> ​I actually can’t even remember what WEIRDS is off the top of my
> >> head, but if you think I might have any value to offer, I could look
> >> at one of them, maybe a couple of they’re short.​
> >>
> >
> > Two of the documents went before the IESG once before but were sent
> > back, partly on the premise that they'd rather see all of the
> documents at once.

---

From: Claudio Allocchio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 09:56:08 +0200 (CEST)

Hello all,

> though, but maybe that is good. :-)

thank you Bert and Tim,

>>> tl;dr: Web-based WHOIS replacement.

as said, all 6 documents are cross referencing each other a lot, thus 
doing the reiews we should anyhow read them all, and the make the reviews 
of the ones we take on.

The only long one is draft-ietf-weirds-json-response-10, while the other 5 
a pretty short. Thus I'd ask

- Tim to take over    draft-ietf-weirds-json-response-10

- Bert to take over   draft-ietf-weirds-bootstrap-09,
                       draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query-15,
                       draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-sec-09,
                       draft-ietf-weirds-using-http-13

and I can make draft-ietf-weirds-object-inventory-05... maybe for historic 
reasons :-)

The IESG telechat is 2014-10-24, thus we should deliver the review by 
2014-10-22 to give time for reading.

Please ACK this is ok, and many thanks,

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 01:31:09 -0700

> 2014-10-22 to give time for reading.
Actully the telechat is 2014-10-30.  Last Call for all but the bootstrap
document ends 2014-10-24; bootstrap ends 2014-10-27.

-MSK

---

From: Claudio Allocchio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 10:36:50 +0200 (CEST)

> document ends 2014-10-24; bootstrap ends 2014-10-27.

true!! Sorry for reading the wrong line in the datatracker!

thus we should tarket 2014-10-24, with a small buffer until 2014-10-27...