Subject: [appsdir] Changes to published RFC text (was: [Fwd: APPSDIR review of draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6021-bis-01)

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 22:59:31 -0700

Hello,
At 00:41 02-05-2013, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
>But most of the definitions are not new and I am reluctant to make
>changes to published RFC text.

The argument that text was already in the previous version of the 
specification, which is a RFC, has been raised previously.

The points that can be made are:

  (a) Is the specification impossible to implement due to technical or clarity
      issues?

  (b) Does the proposal have technical flaws?

  (c) Does it conform to IAB architecture?

  (d) Does it have broken ABNF, XML, etc?

The question is whether it is worth reviewing a -bis draft when 
issues will be addressed by "already in RFC" [1].  Feedback about 
this is welcome.

Thanks,
-sm

1. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/appsdir/current/msg01084.html

---

From: Claudio Allocchio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 09:53:56 +0200 (CEST)

>> changes to published RFC text.

... the only clean solution I can imagine when there are such isses in an 
already published and deployed work is not the review of an updated 
document... but a discussion (see SM's points below) is it is worth to 
witdraw ("deprecate") the existing document and start a completely new 
(and fixed) specification.

But "deprecating" a document is not in the AppsDir scope, even if we can 
make helpful comments.

> The question is whether it is worth reviewing a -bis draft when issues will 
> be addressed by "already in RFC" [1].  Feedback about this is welcome.

I would not make the review, and in case suggest that there are major 
issues we see in the already existing document, thus we suggest the ADs 
and the IESG some thinking about it.

> _______________________________________________
> appsdir mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/appsdir
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Claudio Allocchio             G   A   R   R          [email-masked]
                         Senior Technical Officer
tel: +39 040 3758523      Italian Academic and       G=Claudio; S=Allocchio;
fax: +39 040 3758565        Research Network         P=garr; A=garr; C=it;

            PGP Key: http://www.cert.garr.it/PGP/keys.php3#ca