Subject: [appsdir] A few thoughts to start the year

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 12:54:51 -0800

Hello,

The Applications Area Directorate has been active for over a 
year.  There were 42 reviews in 2011 and 116 reviews in 2012.  It's 
nice to have something to show for the name change.  Credit for all 
this belongs to you because it is your time and effort that made it possible.

My considerations for assignments remain the same; I try to balance 
the workload as the commitment is for everyone to do one or two 
reviews a month.  In practice some people may get more reviews as 
some specific expertise may be useful for a particular review.  As a 
reminder, please edit 
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/ApplicationsAreaDirectorate 
with your expertise and the WGs you are tracking if the information 
on that web page is not up-to-date.

I personally would like to see more focus on 
internationalization.  That could be done through reviews from people 
with the necessary expertise.  I can only encourage you to 
volunteer.  If you do, it can help, if you don't, nobody else will do it.

AppsDir reviews are primarily about assessing the impact on 
Applications.  Some of the AppsDir reviews generated DISCUSSes; i.e. 
if you found something wrong and the author did not address the 
issue, the Apps ADs can raise it as an issue during IESG 
evaluation.   The criteria used by the IESG is at 
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html  If a review 
is going to be controversial please let me know.

I would like to thank each of you for the work you have performed 
over the last year.

Best regards,
-sm