Subject: [appsdir] Historical notes about the team

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 15:15:50 -0700

Hello,

Peter took over as Apps Review Team Leader in October 2009 ( 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-review/current/msg00210.html 
).  Alexey and Peter picked me as Apps Review Team Leader in May 2012 
( 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-review/current/msg00210.html 
).  I was surprised by the selection as they had never met me.

I did not have any clue about how to do the work.  I found out that 
when requests for reviews were ignored nothing could be done.   I got 
to meet Alexey at IETF78.  I wasn't comfortable as I didn't know what 
to say if he asked why the team were not working.  He came to me and 
said "it's not your fault" before the subject came up.

There was still a problem though.  Either somebody did something 
about the problem or else it would not be solved.  Alexey and I 
(Peter joined us in the hallway) had a chat before the Apps Area 
lunch on Monday.  The problem was discussed during that lunch.  At 
the end of the discussion, Alexey asked me in front of everyone 
whether I thought that it would fix my problem and my answer was "no".

I posted a message about monthly reports ( 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-review/current/msg00282.html 
).  That was the starting point of the effort.  There wasn't any 
plan.  There were several tweaks along the way.  I don't recall 
requesting Apps AD approval for several of them.  I notified the Apps 
ADs before doing most of the tweaks.

I didn't know whether I could fire a reviewer.  I never had to ask 
any of the Apps ADs about that.  When I did not like something I told 
them about it.  I guess that we had this unstated understanding that 
problems had to be addressed.  There were times when I overstepped 
the line.  The Apps ADs understood what it was about even though we 
didn't discuss beforehand.

I suggested creating a directorate in September 2012 ( 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-review/current/msg00597.html 
).  I didn't have to argue for it.  The work of the team spoke for 
itself.  It was a request the Apps ADs could not refuse. :-)  The 
Directorate was created in November 2011 ( 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-review/current/msg00650.html 
).  The title of Team Lead was intentionally picked for the next Team 
Lead.  There is a reason why I did not pick "secretary".  I never 
gave much thought to the title of the members of the team except that 
I did not want it to be "director".

I don't recall ever having to use the fancy title.  I did not have to 
spell out things as you understood what I would like to see.  I 
enjoyed getting to meet each of you and working with you.

Best regards,
-sm