Subject: [appsdir] AppsDir reviews, and where to send them

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 18:48:19 -0500

When SM sends out review requests, he includes this in the instructions:

> The review should be sent to apps-discuss, the authors, the WG Chairs and
> document shepherd, if applicable.
...
> If your review recommends significant changes to a working-group document,
> you should also consider copying the working group's mailing list.

Please understand: I don't mean to pick on Henry at all... but his AppsDir
review of draft-ietf-oauth-v2 is a perfect example of when sending a copy
to the WG list would have been appropriate, and it wasn't sent there.
 Here's a good hint of that, from the review: there are four items labelled
as "major issues", including a concern about not requiring TLS (a major
security issue) and a concern that documentation of one aspect appears
insufficient, requiring an Intenet search to augment the documentation.

The doc editor responded to the review by forwarding it to the WG list.
 That was a good thing, but one result is that replies to the AppsDir
review don't go to the OAuth list, and replies on the OAuth list don't go
to apps-review or to the reviewer.  So any discussion becomes fragmented.

Again: I am NOT picking on any particular reviewer, but just using an
example.  I ask the reviewers to consider whether the WG should be seeing
your review.  In most cases where you're not just making editorial notes,
or just talking about very minor things, the answer is probably "Yes."

Barry

---

From: [email-masked] (Henry S. Thompson)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 00:19:56 +0000

>> you should also consider copying the working group's mailing list.

Hmm, not in the email I got. . .

But I do remember seeing that somewhere in the past.  In this case I
followed the pro-forma on the appsdir page [1], which doesn't mention
the WG :-( Sorry about that!

I will try to have a look at the WG list tomorrow, but it may not be
until Wednesday. . .

ht

[1]
-- 
       Henry S. Thompson, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
      10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh EH8 9AB, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: [email-masked]
                       URL: http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/
 [mail from me _always_ has a .sig like this -- mail without it is forged spam]

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:35:44 -0800

Hi Henry,
>Hmm, not in the email I got. . .

I apologize for missing that.

As a reminder, I posted some notes about AppsDir reviews at 
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/AppsDirReview  If any 
information is missing, ambiguous, etc., please let me know.

Best regards,
-sm

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:52:59 -0500

>  :-( Sorry about that!

Again, stressing: I REALLY didn't mean to complain at anyone in particular,
and we REALLY appreciate the reviews!  Just happened to be a good sample
related to a WG that I'm involved with.

Barry

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 18:54:20 -0800

I've done two Apps Dir reviews, and managed to screw up the recipient
list both times :)  -T

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM, Barry Leiba <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> appsdir mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/appsdir
>

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 22:04:11 -0500

> I've done two Apps Dir reviews, and managed to screw up the recipient

He-he-he.......