Subject: TDomains

From: "Ayers, Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:31:10 -0500

What, if any, are the valid values of TDomain for
agentxConnTransportDomain?

	Also, the AgentxTAddress TC is of size (0..255).  Although it might
be rare, I can imagine Unix domain sockets with longer names.  Is there
therefore, an implied limit on the characters in a Unix domain socket for
AgentX?

	I believe that Unix domain sockets would have
agentxConnTransportAddress values of the form /path/to/socket as opposed to
host:/path/to/socket, since master agents will always open sockets on their
own host - is this technically correct?

	Thanks,

/|/|ike /+yers                                    Test Engineer
                                                      BMC, Inc.
I *AM* reading the manuals - just not as fast as they print 'em!

---

From: Lauren Heintz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:03:04 -0700

Hi Mike,

> agentxConnTransportDomain?

Whatever TDomains your system supports are valid values in this object.
These TDomain values can be defined in any MIB (standard or
proprietary).
 
> therefore, an implied limit on the characters in a Unix domain socket for

Certainly the maximum len you can report with this object is 255 chars.
I would guess that if your implementation encounters an actual socket
with a longer name it should truncate (either to 0 or 255, or whatever
makes sense) or omit the beginning or middle or end of the value??????
Since this TC is supposed to behave according to the TDomain TC in
rfc1903
(except that zero-len values are permitted), this is a question that can
be
addressed in a broader context than the AgentX MIB alone.

Lauren

---

From: Mike Daniele <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:54:56 -0400

Hi Mike,

> agentxConnTransportDomain?

I don't believe there are any such values defined yet.

Since AgentX has transport mappings for TCP and UNIx-domain
sockets, those would be the TDomain/TAddress values we'd need
to define.

We chose not to do so in the AgentX MIB, because we didn't
think it was the right place to define generic TCs for addressing.

What we were hoping, is that the Ops area would sponsor
a "generic TAddress" MIB.  I believe we're getting closer.

See draft-ops-taddress-mib-00.txt.

> therefore, an implied limit on the characters in a Unix domain socket for

Not for AgentX specifically.  The limit already exists with the TAddress
definition in RFC 1903, we just needed to permit 0 length.

Also,  I believe unix domain socket pathnames are restricted by standards
to fewer than 255 characters.  (104?).

> own host - is this technically correct?

I believe so.   Good clarification for the draft though!

Regards,
Mike