Subject: Re: Set Processing

From: Bob Natale <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:26:13 -0500

At 2/23/2000:06:27 AM, Dave Shield wrote:

Hi Dave,

>I'm not quite sure how to fix it - I don't think it's something we
>should rush into, without some deep thunks first (and maybe even a
>design plan!)

As you, Mike, and probably others have already noted, bolting on
multi-threading to an already complex code base is not going to
work.  From experience, I can say that getting multi-threading
right in a complex app (esp. one with many oopen interfaces to
the outside world...where timing and data sync issues abound) is
tough enough when starting from scratch at the design phase.

>Short term, I think I'll hide behind the beta-nature of the AgentX
>implementation :-)

Well, speaking as chair of the AgentX WG, the open experimentation
with the UCD AgentX code and the outstanding implementation feedback
that you provide is the best thing happening to AgentX right now.
True, a number of commercial implementations are available and, as
far as I know, the product support behind them is excellent...but
AgentX is still at the take-off stage and the kind of exposure your
implementation is getting here is critically important.  Keep up
the great work!...and thanks.

Cordially,

BobN
------------ ISO 9001 Registered Quality Supplier -----------
Bob Natale         | ACE*COMM              | 301-721-3000 [v]
Dir, Net Mgmt Prod | 704 Quince Orchard Rd | 301-721-3001 [f]
[email-masked]| Gaithersburg MD 20878 | www.acecomm.com
------------- Free downloads at www.winsnmp.com -------------

---

From: Dave Shield <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 15:54:41 +0000

> that you provide is the best thing happening to AgentX right now.

<curtsies>
Why thank you, kind sir.

(shame it doesn't work properly!)

> the great work!...and thanks.

I eagerly look forward to receiving interoperability reports
from these other implementations.   (This is known as a hint!)

Dave