Subject: agentx X pure snmp

From: Alexandre Briani Kieling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 21:39:04 -0300 (EST)

I have been studying the agentX protocol for six months and I am starting
to write a document about this technology. But I can not just talk
about theory. I need to validate what I say. I mean, if I say that
extensible agents are better than monolitic agents, I have to prove this.

Is the implementation of extensible agents easier than
the traditional way of implement snmp agents? Is there a way to determine
the time spent developing subagents and snmp agents.
Is it true that many subagents have better performance than one big snmp
agent?
Is it better to develop a new module and compile it
with a existent snmp agent like ucd-snmp or is it better to develop a
extensible agent using agentX? I am not sure about it.
Is there any way I can prove that agentX is better?
What I am asking here is a suggestion about how I can compare the two
technologies and validate the results.

Could anyone who developed a extensible agent tell me what type of
information the agent was managing? Is there any situation where only
extensible agents can do the job?

I do not mean to bother you with so many questions.
I would really appreciate any hint.

Thanks for your time.

--
Alexandre Briani Kieling
Laboratory of Distance Learning
Federal University of Santa Catarina
Brazil